This is the story of Ringo.

April 8, 2010. It was just another ordinary night. When I got home from work, I noticed that they were busy at something. There is a cat in the house, and they were excited about it.

My mother told me everything that evening. Late afternoon that day, Agring already noticed the cat standing outside the house. According to Agring, she actually thought of bringing in the cat but didn’t bother to fearing that the dogs would kill the cat. But to her surprise, after a few minutes, she saw Bunny, along with the cat, inside the garage and was tending to the cat like it was her own.

When I saw the cat, it reminded me of George, my previous cat who died, also orange and male. The cat was about a month old, weak, had a crooked tail, white paws, one eye is half shut, like it just woke up, and it was extremely thin. My mother has already given the cat a name, and it was Ringo.

Agring then tried to feed Ringo with milk the first night he stayed but he wasn’t drinking, so she forced fed him just so that he would get a little bit of nutrition.

2 days passed by and still the same, we had a hard time feeding Ringo and we also noticed that he wasn’t pooping. This was obviously a concern so the milk feeding continued. Finally after 3 days , Ringo pooped. We then thought that everything was going to be alright.

May 2010, Ringo was already eating solids, very playful to everyone, especially with Bunny and Dogi. Although Dogi didn’t like it when Ringo was playing with her. Because Ringo was so active, sometimes we accidentally stepped on him,but not to the point that we injured him.

June 2010, Ringo was doing well. Fat and full of energy! Things were going well, real well. So well that the relationship of Bunny and Ringo are going to the next level. Ringo was sucking on Bunny’s breast and Bunny had no problems with it whatsoever!
Bunny and Ringo
Ringo a.k.a. Tababoy

Sometime in July 2010, Ringo injured himself when the garden hose fell on him and injured his rear end. He had trouble walking, just sitting or lying down the whole day.

We thought that after a few days, his injury would eventually heal and go away, but that wasn’t the case. Aside from the fact that he couldn’t walk, his belly was growing, he had a hard time pooping again and was getting weaker by the day.

We were worried about the condition of Ringo so we brought him to the vet at Animal House Clinic in SM Bicutan. The doctor prescribed some medicine for Ringo but that didn’t make Ringo’s condition any better. So we decided to get a 2nd opinion from another vet, but I wasn’t able to come because of work so my mother brought him. The 2nd doctor said that the injury might have caused his pooping problem and as for Ringo’s bloated tummy, an enema was performed. So that evening after Ringo’s enema, we noticed that he was really getting weaker. It seemed like his body couldn’t take the enema procedure and now, he was peeing blood.

So the next day, my mother called the vet about Ringo’s current condition and said to her that this might be a real issue. Since Ringo still has problems walking, an operation might be needed but his chances are real low.

I also did some research on the internet and found some articles about blood in urine for cats. From what has happened to Ringo, I think this is the cause:

What causes hematuria (blood in urine)?
There are multiple causes of hematuria in cats, some of which include;

  • Kidney stones
  • Kidney tumour
  • Glomerulonephritis
  • Trauma
  • Bladder stones
  • Bladder tumour
  • Bladder infection
  • Urinary tract infection
  • Idiopathic (no known cause)

I believe his injury was on his pelvic bone, caused trauma and hit his kidneys. Surgeries for animals, as we know, is expensive. Due to financial constraints, we decided not to push through with it and just tried our best to give Ringo comfort through his painful ordeal.

On August 3, 2010, after coming home from work, I was informed by my mom that Ringo is really weak and might not make it through the whole week. I felt tremendous amount of sadness and spent a lot of time with Ringo that evening. We were already discussing about putting Ringo to sleep but I was hesitant about it. We decided to push through with it the next day. But around 10:30 pm, Ringo started crying real loud. I could only imagine the pain that he was going through. Ringo had to be put to sleep. As the sleeping pill was being prepared, Ringo passed away…

Even if Ringo was only with us for 4 months, he gave us tremendous amount of joy. Its as if God guided him to our home for a reason.

I now realize that every pet that we had through the years and the years to come are not just pets, they are and will be family.

Rest well Ringo.
April 8, 2010 ~ August 3, 2010


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: